Saturday, October 04, 2008

Keeping the Promise

The 'Keep the Promise' demo organised by the End Child Poverty Campaign was amazing - the organisers deserve masses and masses of praise. I'd thought that there might be maybe a couple of hundred people on the march, but there were thousands and thousands of people, of all ages (grandparents and grandchildren and all ages in between!) and from all over the country - the biggest ever demonstration against poverty in the UK.

The aim of the event was to make the government keep the promise that they made, which was to halve child poverty by 2010 and end it by 2020. You can find out more about the campaign here.

Normally on demos I go on the march and then slope off before the rally. I'm glad I stayed for the rally this time, though, because it was a chance to see many famous celebrities who came to support the campaign, including one of my all time favourites. Not Sophie Ellis-Bextor (who was also there), but Elmer:

1 Comments:

At 7:48 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sophie Ellis Bextor is my favourite celeb, she looks just like...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home