Thursday, January 04, 2007

Bad Luck, Ahmed

Tim told me recently that back in the 80s, the Federation of Conservative Students had a campaign in response to Band Aid called 'Bad Luck, Ahmed', which ran as follows - "Ahmed is from Ethopia. Ahmed is starving. Bad Luck, Ahmed", the point being that it certainly isn't any of our business whether people in Africa starved or not, and we certainly shouldn't try to do anything about it.

I was idly wondering to myself what those Young Tories were doing now, and what they thought of Gordon Brown's campaign for free education for every child. Confirming all my prejudices about libertarians, the people here think that paying taxes to ensure every child can go to school is a form of slavery. I wonder if they have still got their 'Hang Nelson Mandela' badges?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home